On the beach of Faneromeni, in addition to the old ruined Christian temple that was restored in 1640 by Lambros Canellos, who founded the current Monastery of the Assumption of Faneromeni, there was one of several windmills in Salamis.
In 1933, Angelos Sikelianos visited the Monastery of Faneromeni and was impressed by the beauty of the landscape wishing to be granted an Accommodation space. He was given the house and lived with his wife Anna Campanaris in the last years of his life, from 1938 to 1949.
At an event organized by the Municipality of Salamis, Anna Campanari expressed her desire to renovate the house and create a small museum that would equip herself with donations of personal belongings.
The building was renovated by the Municipality of Salamis in collaboration with the Ephorate of Attica Monuments, with the official inauguration on September 17, 2006.
The Monastery of Panagia Faneromeni is located in the area "Faneromeni" of the island. The monastery is a three-aisled basilica with a central dome and four turrets. The iconostasis was painted in 1735 by the hagiographer George Mark by the fresco technique.
The Monastery was founded by Saint Laurentius, who came to the island from the area of MegaloPefko in 1670. The monastery's contribution during the Turkish occupation and the Revolution of 1821 was significant. It was remarkable that elderly, women and children took refuge in the monastery. There, looters were kept and chieftains met. The Monastery commemorates the Virgin Mary on the 23rd of August.