Panagia Eleftherotria was built on the ruins of the German artillery in 1998, in memory of the liberation of the island by the Germans.
It is located on the 'Patris' hill, which derives its name from the German word Batterie which means gunfire. There the Germans had set up their guns during the 1941-1944 occupation.
The erection of the Church of Panagia Eleftherotria was the realization of a tribute made mainly by the women of the area, when on October 12, 1944 the Germans left Salamis.
For this reason it was also named Eleutherotria and celebrates on October 12th.